Thursday 25 September 2014

Dinosaurs, Birds and a very Handsome Man.

First off, I wish to apologise for only writing my further experiences of the festival a month afterwards, there has been a mixture of wonderful/crazy/exciting adventures in between.

However there is no time to talk of that now! Because as suggested in the blog title - there are dinosaurs to discuss.
"But Annabelle, why are you putting dinosaurs and birds and a handsome man (oh my!) all together? Surely that can't be!" you all cry. Well gather round as I tell you of the most fan girl experience that has increased my social awkwardness by a large amount.

There was a room at The Capitol where thanks to Dymocks, a majority of my money was exchanged for books and books and well, more books. It was known as "The Hub" where authors would answer questions about their recently published books. Now it is no secret that I am a fan of dinosaurs, so of course when I heard that editor of Australian Geographic John Pickrell was attending to discuss his recent book "Flying Dinosaurs" it was evident that I was going to attend whether or not my friends came. But seeing as they were lovely friends they came with me and helped me contain my excitement for all the knowledge I was about to absorb.

I mean for years people just believed dinosaurs were really large reptiles - but for them to be related to birds? crazy! The first feathered dinosaur was discovered in 1996 and since than 40 species alone have been found in China. That's over 100 years after the theory of the relationship started playing in people's minds in 1861. There have been over 80 pieces in bones and lung physiology that have become evident to the connection. The iconic roaring sounds from Jurassic Park are sadly fictitious with theories of them sounding more like a bird chirp, but a lot more slower and deeper.
It seems humorous to imagine a T-Rex clucking like a chicken. But it's as funny as it is possible, considering the close relation.

Now that explains the dinosaurs and birds and you must be wondering by now about the handsome man. Of course it is the wonderful John Pickrell who even after I made a complete fool of myself in front of him still signed my book. As he asked me if I was a fan of dinosaurs I responded with a very embarrassing "Yes oh my lord I love dinosaurs I went to this exhibition and it was amazing and there's even this dinosaur with claws the size of tennis racquets!"
Whilst this was coming out of my mouth my brain responded appropriately with "shut up shut up shut up"

Whether you are a dino dork or not I would love for people to read more about this, even if it is to look at the beautiful images in the book.
Jurassic Park is still wonderful though.

No comments:

Post a Comment