Thursday 25 September 2014

The Beautiful City and WWI

As I sat in a lecture theatre about to hear a talk on Gallipoli and the works of British soldiers I couldn't help but notice that I was one of the youngest people in the room. It was a little saddening because history is such an important and fascinating part of our lives that I think needs more credit.

Gallipoli itself translates to "The Beautiful City" and is in the area where some of the greatest wars written about took place. Homer's Iliad is one of the dominant examples in this case. What was being discussed however were not the historical events themselves, but how the writing of these events were so inspiring and romanticised in soldiers of the first world war. The soldiers even to copies of the Iliad with them to Gallipoli!

Achilles seemed to be a main role model for those who considered themselves to be heroic soldiers and I don't blame them. The way he is written, even in one of my favourite books "Ransom" by David Malouf, would make anyone view him in a particular light. Achilles was a huge influence even to Alexander the Great who aspired to become the next Achilles.

The way a war or any particular part of history is written can influence the reader. During the school years you only get to read history in a textbook throwing up information way. However there are books out there that give history life again, such as Christopher Hibbert's book on the French Revolution. But this is going off topic.

There were a group of soldiers in World War I known as the "nerds" and they were called the Argonauts. The Argonauts wrote about the war as if it was occurring in the school yard and about how they wished to re-enact the Trojan War. This is years and years and I mean YEARS after the war even took place! The Greeks did seem to have a romantic attitude to war which is evident in their writing of it which does make it appealing to others.

A man named Rupert Brooke who fought in the war was insanely influenced by Achilles, always writing and quoting verses on the way to Gallipoli and forming the idea in his mind he was going to be a modern Achilles. He was even written about in such a way, with reports of his golden hair and being a handsome man.

History is one of the reasons why I adore literature. It's amazing how influential it can be depending on how it is written. Talking about a war as if it's a love story inspires others to fight, talking about a war and the statistics fills people with deep sadness over the tragedy. It's just beautiful,
However I don't intend on going off and becoming a heroic soldier, I'll keep Achilles where I think is best, in my heart and on my tendons.

No comments:

Post a Comment